Montreal - A report made public Tuesday says there is still hope the Canadian Grand Prix can be saved. Quebec's Minister of Economic Development, Raymond Bachand, told the Journal de Montreal that the file has "evolved favourably" in the last week and there is still reason to believe the race will be held in Montreal in June 2009.
The politicians trying to save the race are scheduled to meet with Formula One boss Bernie Ecclestone on Thursday in London. Bachand said he was prepared to make a monetary offer to the promoter.
Bachand said he hopes the reaction of several teams that don't want to lose the visibility that a stop in North America brings to the sport, could help save the event.
More News On Montreal And Formula One
Government Leaders To Meet With Ecclestone -- TSN
The mayor hopping the pond to save the Grand Prix -- CJAD
Ecclestone claims false: Grand Prix organizers -- Montreal Gazette
Canadian race official denies claim by F1 boss -- International Herald Tribune
Canadian GP organizers deny debts -- National Post
Canada GP axe angers F1 manufacturers -- CNN
Montreal set to lose $110m -- Asiaone