Saturday, September 27, 2008

Habs Put On A Show For Rabid Fans

P.K. Subban fights with Ottawa Senators Zack Smith during 3rd period NHL exhibition action at the Bell Centre in Montreal, on Friday, September 26, 2008. Photograph by : Montreal Gazette

From Canada.com

Mom and Dad were the first people P.K. Subban saw as he skated into the penalty box last night at the Bell Centre.

The Canadiens' promising blue-line prospect had just had his first fight in maybe four years, in his first game on Montreal ice, and there were the folks as he was sent to his room.

"I'm not sure my mom was happy about that, but my dad didn't seem to mind it too much," Subban said, having duked it out with Ottawa's Zack Smith in the third period of a 5-0 preseason whitewash of the Senators.

"He'd been edging at me the whole game so I said: 'You know what? The crowd's great, I could barely make a pass sometimes, so I might as well show them something I can do. I might as well chuck him.' "

Subban's scrap was only one crowd-rousing moment in the Canadiens' entertaining victory over the Senators, who they'll see again tonight in Ottawa (7 p.m., TSN2, CJAD Radio-800).

Montreal improved to 3-1 in this preseason, following an opening 8-3 loss to the Bruins in Halifax. Ottawa is 2-2.

Last night's win featured three power-play goals on six chances, the preseason debut of Alex Kovalev, a goal and two assists from both Andrei Kostitsyn and Andrei Markov, 21-save shutout goaltending by Jaroslav Halak, two spirited fights by hulking Alex Henry - including a classic against fellow heavyweight Chris Neil - and single bouts involving Tom Kostopoulos and crowd- favourite Subban.

Read more ....

No comments: