Sunday, September 6, 2009

Don't Blame The Mergers -- Commentary From Louis Harel

Louise Harel says the demerger that created '19 cities' within Montreal is the source of the city's woes. Photograph by: JOHN MAHONEY, THE GAZETTE, Freelance

From The Montreal Gazette:

The problem with Montreal's governance today is the decentralization caused by the Charest and Tremblay governments' scheme giving power to the boroughs

In response to your editorial ("So much for ideas; it's politics as usual," Sept. 1), I would like to clarify that the ultimate goal of the 2002 municipal mergers was to establish fiscal equity for all Montrealers.

Read more ....

My Comment: Louis Harel says it herself in her commentary ....

.... I would like to clarify that the ultimate goal of the 2002 municipal mergers was to establish fiscal equity for all Montrealers ....

In short .... it is all about money. And it is in the money that the City of Montreal has all the power, and where the authority on how to spend it and where it goes is determined. Her argument (in her own words) does not hold any water when this issued is looked at from a fiscal point of view .... which in my opinion is the most important issue.

On a side note .... since the merger .... my tax rate has gone through the roof, and I have moved my business off island.

As long as we elect people who believe in "fiscal equality" .... translated .... poverty for all .... I expect this trend to continue.

No comments: