Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Police Justify Cuffing Commuter

Photo: Bela Kosoian, seen Friday in the Metro station, says she intends to fight the $420 in fines. (John Morstad/For The Globe and Mail)

From The Globe And Mail:

MONTREAL — Police in Laval, Que., are denying allegations by a subway commuter that they went too far when they cuffed and ticketed her for refusing to hold onto an escalator handrail.

"There is nothing here to indicate that the police officers didn't do their job correctly," Laval police spokeswoman Constable Nathalie Lorrain said yesterday. "I understand that there is anger here, but the rules have to be enforced."

Bela Kosoian, a 38-year-old mother of two, said she was mistreated last Wednesday in a station in the Montreal suburb after two officers told her to hold onto the handrail and she didn't immediately comply because she didn't understand the instruction.

Read more ....

My Comment: I have never been ticketed by a transit cop ..... but I have seen how they operate at times. I am giving her the benefit of the doubt. There have been too many instances where I have seen them treat people like her with WAY TOO MUCH excessive force.

No comments: