Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Fitness: Bits And Bites For Bixi Newbies

Columnist Jill Barker initially thought she wouldn't worry about a helmet, but changed her mind: she keeps her helmet clipped to her purse. Here, a helmetted Mayor Gerald Tremblay is on hand for the official launch of the BIXI bike rental service on Tuesday, May 12, 2009. Photograph by: Dave Sidaway, Montreal Gazette

From The Montreal Gazette:

MONTREAL - I’ve been Bixiing all over town ever since I signed on as a member of Montreal’s new public bike system. My $78 year-long membership allows me pick up and drop off a bike at any one of the 271 Bixi stations around the city.

The idea was to Bixi between the commuter train and work; a route that takes just under 30 minutes on foot and less than half that on a Bixi. My goal was to reduce my door to door commute time without losing out on the fitness and health benefits of using active transportation. The Bixi fit the bill perfectly.

Read more ....

No comments: