Friday, July 3, 2009

LaSalle Issues Boil-Water Advisory

Boil water for five minutes.
Photograph by: Cate Gillon, Getty Images

From The Montreal Gazette:

MONTREAL - The borough of LaSalle has issued a precautionary boil-water advisory for part of its territory Wednesday at 6 p.m. All residents living in the western part of LaSalle must boil their tap water for at least one minute before they drink it. This notice concerns all neighbourhoods located in the perimeter formed by the following streets: Lapierre, Newman, Ghislaine, Upton, 80th Avenue, Boul. LaSalle and St. Patrick.

Read more ....

My Comment: I have lived in LaSalle for 49 years, and this is my first boil-water advisory. Apparently this alert was issued Wednesday night, but I only received the notification by a young man putting a notice in my mailbox at 11:00 AM Thursday morning. I saw more news at 12:00 on CTV News. in addition, the news reports say that we should boil our water for 1 minute, but the pamphlet from the City says 5 minutes.

The means to communicate this warning was sloppy and haphazard at best. If this was a serious water contamination, a lot of people would be sick right now.

No comments: