Friday, February 13, 2009

Quebecers Try To Weather Economic Storm

Photo: Many people are feeling the effects of the downturn in the economy. Job-placement agencies have been seeing increasing numbers of Quebecers since November.

From CTV Montreal:

Maureen Leong, recently unemployed, is scanning the job bank, surfing the web and flipping through the newspapers.

She's also meeting with her career counselor in the hopes of landing a job, though it's not an easy task these days.

Leong has never been unemployed but the economy crashed down hard on her.

"I don't think I can retire probably 'til the day I die because of what happened," she told CTV's Rob Lurie.

After 30 years working as an operations manager, she was just starting to think about the golden years.

But in November, she received the bad news ...she was laid-off.

To make matter worse, she had lost half of her investment fund.

After two months of pounding the pavement Maureen has had some nibbles but so far no bites.

Read more ....

My Comment: I am self employed and semi-retired .... so I have so far been immune from the economic downturn. But when I look at my friends, it i obvious to me that it has been a long time since I have seen it this bad. People have no money, and their credit lines are now at the max .... while those who have money are being very careful on how they spend it.

Unemployment numbers are going up very quickly now .... but if the situation does not change by the end of this year .... we are all heading for trouble.

No comments: